Tuesday, September 9, 2008

TWD: A Whopper of a Cookie

For your consideration: Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, page 85, featured this week on Tuesdays with Dorrie.

These were interesting cookies. I had several “Aha!” moments while making them

1. Aha! Ovaltine original is not the same as malted milk powder – it has “sugar” listed as the first of many ingredients. Nestle/Carnation’s Malted Milk has “wheat flour and malted barley extracts” as the first ingredient(s).

2. Aha! My countertops are not level.

3. Cool... Mt. Malted Milk.

4. Aha! I adore my sideswipe paddle more and more every time I use it.

5. must. use. up. these. stupid. chips. (no, I just can’t just throw them away, that would be wasteful.)

6. dough! (DOH!) or is it batter?

7. yee ha! scooper’s back in the saddle again.

8. I’m ready for my close-up now, Mr. DeMille.

9. A Whopper of a Whopper Cookie boomerang. Aha! Shoulda used wax paper in between for storing.

Despite the big hunk o’ cookie later, these were good. I did peel the pretty ones off the top and share them with school. Remember – they love treats!

Thanks to Rachel of Confessions of a Tangerine Tart for choosing this recipe. To see what all the other TWDers did with these whopper drops, check out the blogroll here. If you'd like to try making the Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops for yourself, you can find the recipe in Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours.


Pin It
Bookmark and Share

13 comments:

  1. I've got to go to the store and look or malted milk....I hope you can buy it here in Toronto. Is it just an American thing?

    Stupid question: is malted milk the same as Ovaltine? Must get out my food lover's companion. How can I be having malted milk questions at this stage in my life and career?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I almost picked up a bag of those cute little swirled chips! I figured the kids would love those. Your cookies look like they turned out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that side swiper on my wish list for Christmas. It really looks like a cool tool. Your cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the swirl chips! So fun!! The cookies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana-
    I bought Ovaltine and returned it for the Malkted Milk. I did see some of the TWD'rs use Ovaltine with no problem. Some even used the chocolate kind. I wanted to have the MM on hand in case I wanted to use it for another recipe that wouldn't swap ingredients as well.

    Bridgett-
    Thanks - they were tasty. Stay posted for a relevation on what to do with the clump of cookies I wound up with! The chips ARE cute, but have almost zero chocolate flavor. You'd be using them for the cute factor alone.

    Lisa-
    Thanks! You'll love this thing. Be sure to read the instructions on how to reposition the mixer head to accomodate the height. Mine bumps and thumps a little, but that's ok for me. You'll see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh cookies and an award? Wow! I feel so lucky.
    Lisa - thank you for the award, your comments were so sweet & touching. I try to make the best of the best, and also get frustrated when my camera doesn't cooperate after making such goodies.
    These cookies look really good. This is the second time I've seen them. What size ice cream scoop did you use? I need to try that. Did you see those peanut butter Whoppers. I want to try something creative with those, you know?
    Many thanks again sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my looks like somethings I would do........drop the egg on the floor!

    Great looking cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're funny!
    I liked the swriled chips, even if you called them stupid, I think they're cute! Lovely cookies!
    I gave you an award as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the "Aha!" moments, especially the one about your counters. =) My cookies stuck together really badly, too. Hasn't stopped my husband from eating most of the remaining ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was such a great post. Loved the aha moments and the cookies look wonderful. Congrats on your award too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved all of your "A-ha!" moments. Great post. Thanks for making me smile. Mine were sticky too, so I stuck wax paper in between before popping them in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahah great boomerang! And thanks for the insight on the difference of the malted milk powders! The ovaltine really made this flavor just a bit too strong!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved your post! Glad your cookie scooper survived last week. Mine got very very sticky this week! They were good, though! We didn't share ours. Oink.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little blog! If you'd like to leave a comment, please do! I'm thrilled to know that people are looking. If you have a blog too, I'll definitely be stopping in!