Tuesday, September 16, 2008

TWD: Granola Grabbers rewind

I’m doing a rewind as I don’t have THAT much chocolate (or cash!) in the house at the moment to make the $$ Chocolate Chunkers, page 70, that the rest of the TWDers are making this week.

For your consideration: Granola Grabbers from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, page 82, featured back on August 19, 2008 on Tuesdays with Dorie.

I’m generally not really crazy about raisins in cookies, therefore I swapped out just a sprinkling of chocolate chips for the raisins in this recipe. I also only made a half batch since I am a little cookied out as of late and can easily dispose of 2 ½ dozen in places other than my thighs or butt.

Surprisingly, these came together pretty easily as I was wondering while reading the recipe – what holds these things together? (there’s almost no flour.) Yup, butter and sugar. And an egg.Yes I did it again. Stupid stupid stupid.

I scooped out 2 trays and popped them in the oven. To the remaining dough I added some cinnamon to change it up a little. Both ways are good. Like the other TWD cookies I’ve made thus far, these are not so wonderful straight out of the oven. They need to rest a little and are best warm or cool. I was expecting a holy moly granola-y wheat germy flavor, but that’s not the case. They taste like regular cookies and are pretty good at the right temperature. I liked these but they aren’t anything that I absolutely NEED to make ever again, unless it’s to use up the monster jar of wheat germ I bought to make this recipe. Any thoughts on what to do with that???

Thanks to Michelle of Bad Girl Baking for choosing this recipe. To see what all the other TWDers did with these Granola Grabbers OR this week’s selection, Chocolate Chunkers, check out the blogroll here. If you'd like to try making either one of these recipes for yourself, you can find the recipe in Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours.


Pin It
Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

  1. I love the egg pic on the ground. Such is my life. Sorry they weren't you die hard faves. As for that wheat germ, I put mine in anything that calls for flour. I'll switch out a bit of the flour for wheat germ for a little nutrition boost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are beautiful. I love the egg shot! I really liked the grabbers, but I like the chocolate chunkers a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't make the granola grabbers for the same reason I wish I didn't make the chocolate chunkers. At least it's the end of cookies for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job matching the cookbook picture. =) It looks like your grabbers turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos!! Love the egg! I still need to make these ones. I have to try all of the recipes in that book:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit I didn't use the $$$-chocolate... I used about the cheapest chocolate I could find for the bittersweet chocolate, a fairly cheap one (but very nice tasting)for the milkchocolate and Milka for the white chocolate. I haven't been able to find any chocolate chips in stores here in Holland and am not willing to pay a fortune in shipping fees so won't order them over the Internet.

    But still, despite of the use of 'cheap chocolate' the Chocolate Chunkers were the best cookies I have baked so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate it when I drop eggs. I love the pictures. I loved these cookies and can't wait to make them again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, come on! Who doesn't have two pounds of chocolate sitting around? Haha. Your Grabbers look amazing, and your post reminded me that I promised to remake these for myself some time. It'll certainly be a slightly-more-wholesome approach after the chunkers, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies look hearty... granola.. NICE- I am the epitome of egg breakers in my home.. No cash laying around..been there. hell.. I'm there now.. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your grabbers and apple shot look just like Dorie's! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little blog! If you'd like to leave a comment, please do! I'm thrilled to know that people are looking. If you have a blog too, I'll definitely be stopping in!