Tuesday, September 23, 2008

TWD: Dimply Plum Cake

For your consideration: Dimply Plum Cake from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan, page 41, as part of the Tuesdays with Dorie baking clan.

I was initially inspired to make this plum cake based on a post by Smitten Kitchen and then when it popped up on the TWD "to-do" list I knew it was meant to be. This was super easy to make although it took wayyyy longer than 40 minutes to cook through. I wound up resetting the timer several times and had to cover the top with foil to prevent it from becoming too brown. I think overall it was in for an extra 25-30 minutes. No big deal there though.

My plums were of such a size and shape that I only fit 12 plums on mine, (the recipe called for 16) but that was plenty for full plummy, yummy effect.

I haven’t sliced into it yet, but the batter was really, really good! There’s a teacher birthday at school tomorrow and I’m bringing it for her celebration. I’ll report back on the flavor then.

Many thanks to Michelle of Bake-en for choosing this recipe. To see what all the other TWDers did with this Dimply Plum Cake, check out the blogroll here. If you'd like to try making either one of these recipes for yourself, you can find the recipe in Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours.

(Hey, you lookin' at me?)


Pin It
Bookmark and Share

15 comments:

  1. It looks absolutely beautiful! I'm sure it is going to taste amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bottom picture is great--it does look like eyes. =) Your cake looks delicious, and fully cooked, unlike mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow? an "extra" 25-30 minutes? or did I read that wrong? Crazy! I baked mine for 40 minutes and it was awesome. Maybe it has something to do with whatever fruit you are using. I am sure your new teacher will love it! Great job!
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny, I just discovered TWD yesterday and will probably be joining, just want to make sure i understand everything first! Look delish! Do you add any kind of glaze or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's so funny - the bottom photo does look like eyes looking back at us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I skipped the plums and went the chocolate route - but still wasn't crazy about it.

    I'm sure the teachers will like it, though!! They always seem so happy for home-made goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great gift for the teachers! I used to bake treats for my daughters kindergarten teachers last year and it was so much fun to see how they loved everything. It makes it all worth it. I loved how this cake smelled while it was in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks lovely and I'm sure it will be much enjoyed at school! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that first photo! Hope everyone enjoys the cake - I'm sure they will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love upside down cakes. In fact, I wrote a retro pineapple upside down cake today myself. Hope to get into the kitchen with it tomorrow or Thursday.

    You know what would be great with this cake? Creme anglais. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, lucky teachers! I'll be interested in knowing what you thought of the cake. It turned out so pretty!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous-it's sure to be a hit in the teacher's lounge tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa, the cake looks yummy! It seems like Dori's recipes always work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow yours took a lot longer to bake then mine - only 45 minutes! This cake taste so much better the next day and it will make a great teacher's celebration cake, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake looks wonderful! I do love this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little blog! If you'd like to leave a comment, please do! I'm thrilled to know that people are looking. If you have a blog too, I'll definitely be stopping in!