Thursday, January 8, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers: Flap, Jack, Do It Again, aka: Ina Garten's Banana Sour Cream Pancakes

Breakfast.... for dinner. This is one of my kids’ favorite “special” treats. Little do they suspect that Breakfast for Dinner is when mommy didn’t think of what to make until it was waaay too late to whip something up and that she was just not in the mood to do so.

Enter Ina Garten’s Banana Sour Cream Pancakes. (Cereal is holds the number 1 spot on the BFD charts, followed closely by Eggos and french toast sticks). We made these on the weekend and froze the leftovers. (Just layer them in between sheets of wax paper and pop the brick of pancakes/waffles/french toast in a ziptop bag and into the freezer for later).

Easy to make and DH and the kids liked them (well, except for the Little One. Apparently he’s a pancake purist and doesn’t like “stuff” of any kind in his pancakes, so we didn’t add bananas to a few just for him; I had a bite and then went back to my oatmeal.) As an aside, we do the same sprinkling of fruit on top of pancakes with blueberries and apple slices. For apples, just core and peel then slice into thin rings and plop them on top of the uncooked side before flipping.

Many thanks to Karen of Something Sweet by Karen for selecting this recipe. If you yourself would like to make these Banana Sour Cream Pancakes, you can find the recipe on the Food Network site here or in Ina Garten’s book, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, page 177. To join the BB community or to see what all the others did with this, please visit the the Barefoot Bloggers site.

Pin It
Bookmark and Share

10 comments:

  1. I haven't had breakfast yet and these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made some plain, too and I thought they were pretty good. Looks great and I LOVE BFD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh.. goodness I could have these for dinner... seriously. In fact, getting over a cold that is working its way out my EARS, but you have to sleep to get rid of the actual cold, (I hate stuffy-water-ears) so I slept wrong and that gave me a headache... err I just can't win... but if I could perhaps somehow..magically lift those lovely "pancakes" off your screen... just thinking about how good they taste... YUM!

    Pancakes are so special... it is 12:30 am here Friday... and I am tempted to wake my hubby up for Pancakes.. I might have to settle for BIG "M"! at the drive through..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made some with and some without banana.

    I loved them both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently 3/5th of my family are pancake purists, just like your Little One. I didn't realize that until I dumped copious amount of bananas in all of mine. I thought these were great! I'm so with you on breakfast for dinner -- it is a treat for my kids and easy for me. Win/win! Your pancakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love, love, love BFD. glad these went over well, except with your pancake purist. :) using apples this same way sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa - these sound wonderful!! My family loves Breakfast for Dinner. Pancakes, Bacon, Eggs and Grits and they all three are happy campers. ;) We will definitely have to try this recipe ... by one of my favorite chefs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pancakes look picture perfect! I love the big pat of butter on top. And I'm coveting that plate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should never read food blogs before I have had breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little blog! If you'd like to leave a comment, please do! I'm thrilled to know that people are looking. If you have a blog too, I'll definitely be stopping in!