Saturday, November 29, 2008

Daring Baker's November Challenge: Caramel Cake with Caramelized Butter Frosting!

This month's Challenge was Caramel Cake with Caramelized Butter Frosting, recipe courtesy of Shuna Fish Lydon, as published on Bay Area Bites. We had to make both the cake and the frosting.

This month’s Challenge hosts are Dolores of Culinary Curiosity, Alex aka: Brownie of the Blondie and Brownie duo and Jenny of Foray into Food. Natalie of Gluten-a-Go-Go is assisting with alternative baking methods.



In the spirit of Thanksgiving, THANK HEAVENS for David Lebovitz. The man is brilliant. He suggested using a strainer over your caramel pan to stop the spatters and preventing the equivalent of Culinary Napalm (perfect description from Alton Brown) from splattering me and my kitchen.

This was actually fairly easy. I was quite worried about burning myself, but that didn’t happen, and I followed Shuna’s directions for the caramel challenged to a “T” and it all came together beautifully. I was afraid of my regular cake pans not being “tall” enough, so I used my 9” springform pan – fabulous! It pulled away from the edges just like it was supposed to and it turned golden brown and delicious.

Thanks to Dolores, Alex and Jenny for selecting this month’s Daring Baker Challenge. You can find the complete recipe for the caramel cake, frosting and optional caramels (which I did not make) on their sites.To see what all the other DBer’s did, you can find the blogroll here and if you’d like to join the monthly party, info about that can be found on that page as well.



Pin It
Bookmark and Share

18 comments:

  1. Culinary napalm - not delicious. That cake - fabulously delicious. Nice job, and I'm jealous that your cake turned out so much darker than mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photos of the different caramel stages! I definitely should have let mine get darker before I added the water. Oh, well, it still tasted really good. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of your photos! The cake looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you that it turned out perfectly! I didn't care for this one but I'm happy that you enjoyed yours. Your pictures are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your caramel photos! And your cake looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, yummy looking cake--and soup below.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice cake, it turned out really well Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake looks great. I really enjoyed the mexican chicken soup too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great first photo. your cake looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just looking at your lovely cake makes we wish I still had some left over! Love your bubbling caramel photos. I was too nervous to even attempt taking pics while I made mine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tip on using the strainer for the caramel. I'll remember that one. I used tin foil with a hole in the middle as someone had suggested on the forum. Beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, culinary napalm, that's hilarious. Your baked cake looks divine, and makes me crave a slice--plain--with some tea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had forgotten about Alton's description of 'culinary napalm' - funny. Your cake looks fantastic. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! I love the caramel pics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake looks great. Yummy job

    ReplyDelete
  16. Using a strainer is a good tip! I ususally just use a very deep pot though. The other trick I've learned over the years is to wear oven mitts when brushing down the sides of the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lisa, the cake looks yummy! The last photo of the baked cake is just great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little blog! If you'd like to leave a comment, please do! I'm thrilled to know that people are looking. If you have a blog too, I'll definitely be stopping in!