Sunday, February 8, 2009

Chocolate Almond Saltine Toffee Crunch {swoon}

When I saw these on Baking And Boys! by Katrina I KNEW I had to make them, especially when they also popped up on Lisa's Jersey Girl Cooks blog on the very. same. day. It was totally in the stars and fate said that I would be making these at some point, soon. Edit: Props to Lisa over at The Cutting Edge of Ordinary too (I love all my Lisas ;D), plus Ghetto Toffee sounds wayyy more like it.
Superbowl Sunday party. DH's Office People. Must make and bring something fabulous, yet incredibly easy.
Enter Chocolate Almond Saltine Toffee Crunch. I had 2 women almost tackle me (pun intended) wanting the recipe. Good thing it's easy to remember. This stuff IS addicting and so simple to make. In fact, you probably have all the ingredients on hand in your pantry RIGHT NOW to whip up a batch of these. Be sure you have somewhere to take them as I promise you will eat them all in one sitting if not.
Chocolate Almond Saltine Toffee Crunch
1 1/2 sleeves of saltine crackers (or as many as it takes to completely cover your tray)
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 tsp. almond extract (optional - a little goes a long way)
2 cups chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350º. Line jelly roll pan with foil and spray with non-stick spray. (If you use a silicone baking mat, use the foil underneath anyway - makes it easier to lift out.) Lay crackers out flat on foil.
Melt sugar and butter. Add almond extract and bring to boil, whisking until all are incorporated and mixture looks "foamy" (about 3 to 5 minutes). Pour over crackers and spread to coat. Bake 5 minutes in 350º oven or until bubbly.
Remove from oven. While hot, sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips, let soften and melt, then spread. It will take about 4 - 5 minutes for all the chocolate to melt enough to spread. Offset spatula works great here. Sprinkle with whatever toppings you like or leave plain - I used toasted almonds.
I put the tray into the freezer for a few minutes to flash freeze, removed it and popped the slab of toffee out of the pan and peeled off the mat and the foil. Lay it on a cutting board and using pizza cutter, cut into squares. Alternately, you can break it into pieces. Keep stored in the refrigerator (if they last that long).


Pin It
Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh Ghetto Toffee! I blogged about it back in December:

    http://thecuttingedgeofordinary.blogspot.com/2008/12/oh-yeahthose-things.html

    It's so simple and yet everyone goes crazy for it. I had to make it for Superbowl too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I love your addition of almond extract.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bookmarked that recipe but haven't made it yet. When I made the toffee crunch for TWD (will be posted in 2 weeks) I was wondering how it would compare. I am totally hopeless around toffee; no willpower at all. This looks great!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah!! I love this stuff. We make it for Christmas every year and it's so hard to keep my hands off of it!! It's even great right out of the freezer. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love these at our house. I do tend to eat way too may because i just break off a little piece, and then another little piec, and then another little, and so on ......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make this "crack" over the holidays. SO good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little blog! If you'd like to leave a comment, please do! I'm thrilled to know that people are looking. If you have a blog too, I'll definitely be stopping in!