Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Chicken and Lettuce Wraps?


We were getting into a bit of a rut with our chicken dinner selections, and I wanted to change things up a bit and to see if there was anything else in the world that No Thank You Boy would eat. A friend and I went to see Mamma Mia! and then went out for appetizers afterwards. We had chicken lettuce wraps and I thought I'd try to recreate them after a fashion. My thought was that it's fun, different, and you could eat with your hands (ok, that part appeals more to Messy Boy rather than No Thank You Boy). I had all the basic ingredients on hand (um, like chicken and lettuce). I have to limit the number of blatantly obvious ingredients so that I can slip some others in under the radar, so this is a pretty stripped down version. I did manage to sneak in water chestnuts without "anyone" noticing and prep was easy. It was a mess to eat but everyone liked it.

Chicken and Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients:
Filling:
Rotisserie chicken, meat stripped off bones and roughly chopped
1 can water chestnuts, sliced and roughly chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
½ small onion chopped
4-6 leaves of lettuce, rinsed and dried
2 tablespoons olive oil

Sauce:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup water
Dash sesame oil
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Create sauce by mixing ingredients in small bowl and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine chopped chicken and water chestnuts. Add garlic and onion. In a medium pot, heat the olive oil. Add the chicken mixture, stir in the sauce ingredients and combine thoroughly to coat and heat through. Remove from heat. Place one lettuce wrap on each plate and place a small scoop of the chicken on each. Roll up, forming a small pocket or envelope.


Pin It
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little blog! If you'd like to leave a comment, please do! I'm thrilled to know that people are looking. If you have a blog too, I'll definitely be stopping in!